If you really want to make changes in your body and make your future body less susceptible to pain, injury and just feeling crappy, weight training is a must.
Adding lean muscle tissue bumps up your metabolism, strengthens your bones, muscles and connective tissue and it makes you feel good about yourself.
But, what if you’re new to weight training? What if you don’t have any equipment?
There are plenty of body weight exercises out that, but there’s another idea:
Make your own weights.
- Put change in a tennis ball can or in a sock
- Hold full water bottles or soup cans – This will only be a couple of pounds, but that works
- Put sand in a bag or sock
- Fill milk jugs with water, rocks or change
- Use paint cans (more like half-full)
- Make a medicine ball by taking any ball and making a hole in it and fill with sand or rocks, then patch the hole with duct tape
Here are more ideas for making DIY dumbbells.
Buy Dumbbells for Cheap
If you go to a sporting goods store, you’re probably going to pay more for those dumbbells.
If you do that, go for the iron hexagonal weights, which are always cheaper.
Other places to find cheaper weights include:
- Discount departments stores like Walmart or Target
- Play it again sports
- Garage sales
- Amazon.com always has a nice selection of more inexpensive products
- Goodwill stores near you
If you really want to stay on a budget, you have lots of options for where to look. You just may have to spend more time doing it. Have a question? Email me and I’m on it.