I know that all these new-fangled electronics are supposed to make life easier, but I think it makes us all just a little bit crazier, too.
How many times do you automatically reach for your phone to check for messages or emails? If I counted how many times my husband does it during one meal out, I would have no time to actually eat.
I am, of course, a perfect angel and I never do such things.
And then there’s all this other stuff – Everything is online so you’re staring at a screen all day and then there are the holidays and everyone is trying to make you buy the ‘perfect gift’ and you fall down that Internet Black Hole where you end up just watching kittens sleep just to save your sanity.
There are plenty of ways to de-stress and I have one that’s so easy, anyone can do it. And you really will feel better after.
3-Minute Total Relaxation
Set a timer for about 3 minutes or, if you have time, just go with the flow…it’s not like it’s a law or anything.
- Lie down in a quiet place and close your eyes.
- Begin by tensing and contracting your muscles starting with your feet.
- Curl your feet and toes, then hold that as you move up and squeeze the calves, then the quads, then the glutes.
- Hold the lower body and feet very tight and move up, contracting the abs and then the arms, curling your hands into tight fists.
- Keep holding everything tight as you squeeze your shoulders up towards your ears, clench your jaw and squeeze your eyes shut tight.
- When everything is tight and tense, hold it for 5 seconds, feeling your muscles start to burn. Then on a long exhale relax everything, letting your muscles melt and your body sink into the floor as the tension drains away. Repeat and continue relaxing and breathing for at least one minute or longer.