Day 3 – Core, Fiber and Activity
What’s one of the first things we do to try to lose belly fat?
If you said crunches, you win!
But crunches don’t work. We know that because if it did, we would all be sitting around in our bathing suits staring at our 6-pack abs.
Instead, of wasting time on crunches, we’re going to focus on the right way to work the abs along with other belly fat weapons like fiber and being more active.
Challenge #1: Strong Core Workout
This core workout has zero crunches! What it does have is whole body, functional moves that target the core along with the rest of the body. You’ll burn more calories that way!
Challenge 2: Fiber
Fiber. Not the sexiest word to hear, but it can be a powerful friend if you’re trying to lose belly fat. Studies show people who eat high fiber had less belly fat.
Adding More Fiber to Your Diet
- Eat more veggies and eat them first
- Eat whole grains like quinoa, wheat berries or barley. All of these things can be added to salads and they don’t suck.
- Snack on nuts and seeds
- Eat avocados
- Eat whole fruits
- Add a fiber supplement – If you really have trouble with fiber, try a supplement like Benefiber. Just make sure you ease into it. Otherwise you’ll probably get bloated.
Those are simple things you can do every day, so pick one and add that to your daily routine.
Choose your high fiber recipe:
Challenge 3: Activity
Exercise is important for losing belly fat, but what you may not know is that just being more active can have a huge impact on how many calories you burn each day.
This extra, unstructured activity is called Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis or NEAT and it’s a significant part of how many calories you burn.
The more you move, the more you burn.
Your Active Challenge is this:
Pick 3 (or more) of these activities, set an alarm every hour and do one of them. Do them all day until about an hour before bed:
- Stand up
- Walk around
- Do these seated stretches
- Clean something
- Chew gum
- Do 20 arm circles
- Stretch your arms overhead and gently stretch to the right and left
- Do 20 shoulder shrugs
- Use the bathroom on a different floor
- Pace while you talk on the phone